Head of Communications
Closing date: Monday 4 July
The role: Working within the External Relations team on our award-winning campaigns, communications, media, content and marketing, you will lead and deliver creative and results-driven strategies with engaging content on complex issues to tight deadlines.
You have significant experience as a communications leader and media relations manager and are an intelligent and diplomatic communicator and skilled multi-tasker.
You will have demonstrable experience of building, managing and maintaining excellent relationships with key stakeholders and will work with Directors to develop strategic plans for our External Relations team. You will continually improve our communications work, spot opportunities and support team development.
You’ll be joining the only independent charity in the UK dedicated to improving the nation’s numeracy at a time when the profile of our charity and the numeracy issue is rising, particularly as the government begins to roll out a £560 million numeracy programme. Thus, experience of working with policymakers and on public affairs issues would be helpful.
We are looking for someone who is highly motivated with bags of ideas and initiative. Experience in the charity sector is not necessary, as long as you can show us that you have relevant transferable skills and an understanding of what it takes to be successful in this role. It’s a fantastic opportunity within a small but ambitious and dynamic organisation making a real difference to people’s lives and livelihoods.
Some key responsibilities:
- Devise and deliver strategic communication plans covering complex issues.
- Ensure the delivery of consistent, effective and positive messages to promote and protect the charity, our work and reputation across a variety of platforms, turning complex information into simple, compelling narratives.
- Build and maintain effective relationships across the organisation and with external stakeholders including policymakers, the public, the media, funders and other partners.
- Create and deliver media strategy and manage relationships with broadcast, print and digital journalists.
- Spot and cultivate opportunities for positive media coverage and engaging content for our channels.
- Continually improve the effectiveness of our communications work, paying attention to measurement, evaluation and learning.
- Support the Director of External Relations with managing the team and its work.
- Support the Director of External Relations and CEO with public affairs.
- Work with the internal teams to ensure key activities and messages are aligned to our wider strategy and perform well.