Head of Finance
Closing date: 18 July 2022
We are looking for someone to lead on all aspects of Finance. You will work closely with the Operations & Impact Director to provide a stable and yet flexible finance function to support a national charity at an exciting time of growth and development.
Working with teams across the organisation, this role is critical to maximising our impact through excellent financial management. You will need to communicate with all levels to promote understanding of the finances of the charity, including presenting information to trustees, as well as joining the leadership group in contributing to forward planning and strategy.
We are looking for someone who is flexible, a self-starter and able to use their own initiative. It’s not imperative that you come from the charity sector or that you have held an equivalent role previously, as long as you can show us that you have relevant transferable skills and an understanding of what it takes to be successful in this role, including an understanding of charity finance structures.
Some key responsibilities:
- Take charge of all day-to-day financial aspects of the charity and the subsidiary company, working with the Leadership Group to ensure financial plans are built to reflect current strategic priorities.
- Oversee all day-to-day transactional processing in Sage 50c Accounts and online banking, with support, including all sales and purchase invoices, credit/debit card and pre-paid expenses cards transactions, nominal and bank reconciliations etc.
- Be an active member of Operational Planning meetings, and work with the project managers and leadership group to create, manage and report against budgets on a regular basis.
- Prepare all financial reports including consolidated monthly management accounts and reports for Trustees, reporting against targets, preparing annual budgets, regularly updating forecasts and ad hoc financial modelling and scenario planning as required, working alongside the Leadership Group.
- Support the wider team in preparing bids and costings for new opportunities that arise, including grant applications, commercial contracts and strategic support agreements, and be the first point of contact for external due diligence enquiries.
- Monitor active funding opportunities and update records when funding is secured to ensure accurate reporting against targets and reconciliation to monthly management accounts.
- Prepare Group VAT returns, including partial exemption calculations.
- Manage relationships with the payroll and pension providers.
- Lead on preparation of annual accounts and communications with the audit team.
- Establish, manage and maintain appropriate administration processes and control systems, and communicate them to the wider team.