Maths Appeal is an independent project created by Bobby Seagull, Susan Okereke and producer Jenny Nelson and it’s available wherever you listen to podcasts:
This series is generously sponsored by Experian whose spokesman told us: “Whether it’s bills, budgeting, or even baking, maths is part of everyday life for us all. Experian’s mission is to help the nation improve their financial health, and we know that good number skills and confidence are a gateway to helping you get there. That’s why Experian is a proud supporter of the Maths Appeal podcast and long-running partner of National Numeracy – working together to help you fulfil your potential.”
- Episode 1 (31st October) - The new series kicks off with a discussion about maths in the real world and features new National Numeracy ambassador Iona Bain, who's a financial writer, speaker, author and broadcaster. Iona talks to Bobby and Susan about budgeting and the cost of living crisis.
- Episode 2 (7th November) - On the first day of Number Confidence Week, Countdown's Rachel Riley and National Numeracy Chief Executive Sam Sims are the guests.
- Episode 3 (14th November) - Today's topic is maths in cooking and who better to give the lowdown on this issue than Great British Bake Off winner Peter Sawkins! You can find out about his Number Confidence Week giveaway here.
- Episode 4 (21st November) - National Numeracy Champion Anne Okafor works in the construction industry but once upon a time, she didn't get on with numbers at all. Now, she shouts from whatever beautifully-constructed rooftops she can about how numbers and patterns are in everything - including our bills - and she's an ambassador for STEM subjects: science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
- Episode 5 (28th November) - We might not realise it, but we all use maths in everyday life including monitoring our health and fitness. Today's guest is National Numeracy Champion Oreleo Du Cran, a London trade union worker, who's also passionate about fitness and football. He shares his love of West Ham United with presenter Bobby Seagull.
- Episode 6 (5th December) - As we start building up to Christmas, let's pick up some tips about savings and loans from National Numeracy ambassador Mr MoneyJar, aka Timi Merriman-Johnson.
- Episode 7 (12th December) - This episode is dedicated to the National Numeracy Challenge. Listen in as Bobby and Susan set Producer Jenny the task of giving it a go!
- Episode 8 (19th December) - To the tune of 'Driving Home For Christmas' (thanks Chris Rea) rapper, poet, author and ambassador Harry Baker talks budgeting for travel in the final pod of the series. Merry Christmas everyone!
Number Confidence Week
The launch of this new series of Maths Appeal is part of Number Confidence Week: 7-11 November.
Our online resource hub is ready to use and packed with inspirational content to help you build your confidence with numbers.