A few activity highlights
- A stellar line-up of celebrities and influencers for this year’s #BigNumberNatter, from international best-selling author Peter James, creator of the Detective Roy Grace novels, Countdown's Rachel Riley and University of Oxford's Tom Rocks Maths, Amazing Spaces’ Will Hardie, renowned psychologist Dr Linda Papadopoulos, Great House Giveaway's Tayo Oguntonade and Grazia Money Columnist Bola Sol, plus many more! People didn’t just natter, they rapped too – watch Shuffle T’s rapped Big Number Natter – proof positive that creativity and maths go hand-in-hand!
- Politicians lent their support to the campaign too, including the Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and the Shadow Levelling Up Minister Alex Norris, who had a Big Number Natter with our CEO Sam Sims. Meanwhile, a National Numeracy Day debate was held in Parliament, attended by School Minister Nick Gibb and Shadow Schools Minister Stephen Morgan.
- We joined forces with Education Scotland for Coffee, Cake and Counting – an event for school children in Edinburgh with our Ambassador Peter Sawkins. Our Delivery Partner also hosted a series of online events throughout the day – inspiring Scotland’s school children to think about maths in careers such as farming, football and the arts.
- Thousands of young people put pen to paper to create their Number Heroes Competition entries – from becoming a vet to creating video games, it’s clear that the competition has sparked imaginations and conversations about the use of numbers in young people’s future jobs and hobbies.
A few media highlights
- Good Morning Britain – Our Ambassador Martin Lewis kicked off National Numeracy Day in style by highlighting his role as National Numeracy Ambassador, the campaign, and the importance of numeracy skills. He later posed a NNDay 'pizza maths' dilemma for viewers that ran throughout the three-hour programme.
- Sunday Brunch - Our Ambassador Rachel Riley appeared on Channel 4's Sunday Brunch talking about the campaign and our work.
- ITV News – National Numeracy Day featured in an interview with National Numeracy Ambassador Bobby Seagull
- BBC Radio 5 Live – Martin Lewis talked extensively on about the campaign, our NND research and the numeracy issue, from 40:31: Nihal Arthanayake - Annie Mac and Martin Lewis - BBC Sounds .
- The Times – National Numeracy Chair Perdita Fraser wrote about women and maths in The Times.
- The Daily Mirror – Article about maths for managing money about NNDay, quoting Sam Sims and our Ambassador Timi Merriman-Johnson (Mr MoneyJar).
- The Sun – coverage of the research we published with Founding Supporter KPMG, plus coverage of Martin Lewis and NNDay.
- Daily Express – coverage of NNDay research with KPMG.
- Edinburgh Evening News – coverage of our event in Scotland with Ambassador Peter Sawkins and Education Scotland.
- Sustain Health magazine – coverage of National Numeracy Day Live event with Ambassadors Katya Jones and Bobby Seagull, West Ham United Foundation and BBC CBeebies Numberblocks.