Number Heroes competition
When you grow up, how will you use numbers in your life? Maybe you would love to do a cool job like a vet, teacher, engineer or footballer? Or do you dream of spending your days dancing, baking or saving the planet?
Get children creating pictures of their dream job or hobby and tell us how it uses numbers. Get their imaginations running wild to be in with a chance to win a fantastic prize for themselves and one of six prize bundles worth £1000 for their nursery, school, or community/youth group.
The 2023 competition is now closed.
There are six categories, and one winner in each category will win:
A Number Heroes prize pack worth at least £1,000. This will go to the winners’ chosen nursery, school or community/youth group. Each prize pack contains all the games, books and resources you need to get everyone in your community feeling like a Number Hero! The prize packs are provided by National Numeracy, Black & White Publishing, KPMG, Numberblocks, Numbots, Oxford University Press, Times Tables Rock Stars, and White Rose Maths.
A £50 gift voucher and certificate for the child who created the winning entry.
Three runners-up in each category will win:
A £20 gift voucher and certificate for the child who created the entry.
The categories for entry are:
- Pre-School: Open to all pre-school age children
- Primary A: England/Wales R, Y1, Y2 | Ireland Y1, Y2, Y3 | Scotland P1, P2, P3
- Primary B: England/Wales Y3, Y4 | Ireland Y4, Y5 | Scotland P4, P5
- Primary C: England/Wales Y5, Y6 | Ireland Y6, Y7 | Scotland P6, P7
- Secondary A: England/Wales Y7, Y8 | Ireland Y8, Y9 | Scotland S1, S2
- SEND/EHCP: Open to all children and young people in receipt of SEN support or an EHCP (education, health and care plan). All children are welcome to enter their relevant age category, but those in receipt of SEN support or an EHCP can instead choose to enter this category. The prize pack for the SEND/EHCP category is suitable for a variety of ages and levels, and includes a voucher for the recipient to use on resources of their choice.
How to enter
- Download a Number Heroes sheet or grab a piece of paper, and read the Terms and Conditions
- Create a picture of yourself doing your dream job or hobby – you can draw, paint, collage, use a computer, or use any other way you’d like to create your picture!
- Tell us how you will use numbers in your dream job or hobby
- Don't forget to add your first name, last initial, and age!
- Ask a grown-up to upload your picture through our online form, before 23:59 on 31 May 2023
- If you win we will contact your grown-up before 23 June 2023
Terms and conditions
By taking part in the Number Heroes competition, you agree to all of the following Terms and Conditions:
- The competition is open to children aged between 3 and 13, and children and young people in receipt of SEN support or an EHCP (education, health and care plan) in the UK only.
- Children can take part at home or through their nursery, school, community/youth group or organisation.
- Entries should be submitted by an adult on behalf of the entrant via our online entry form.
- The first name, last name initial, and age of the participant must be visible on each entry so that we can identify the winning child (there is a dedicated space for this on the Number Heroes sheet).
- Only one entry can be submitted for each child. If entrants submit more than one entry, we will judge the first entry received and disregard the others.
- Entries must be submitted into the correct category.
The categories for entry are:
Pre-School: Open to all pre-school age children
Primary A: England/Wales R, Y1, Y2 | Ireland Y1, Y2, Y3 | Scotland P1, P2, P3
Primary B: England/Wales Y3, Y4 | Ireland Y4, Y5 | Scotland P4, P5
Primary C: England/Wales Y5, Y6 | Ireland Y6, Y7 | Scotland P6, P7
Secondary A: England/Wales Y7, Y8 | Ireland Y8, Y9 | Scotland S1, S2
SEND/EHCP: Open to all children and young people in receipt of SEN support or an EHCP (education, health and care plan). All children are welcome to enter their relevant age category, but those in receipt of SEN support or an EHCP can instead choose to enter this category. The prize pack for the SEND/EHCP category is suitable for a variety of ages and levels, and includes a voucher for the recipient to use on resources of their choice.
- Entries for up to 100 children in the same category can be submitted at the same time, via the online entry form.
- Entries need to include clear and legible images of the child's picture which can be completed on a printed-out Number Heroes Sheet or your own paper.
- The entry must be the entrant's own original work and not defame nor breach any copyright or contain anything that could be deemed offensive.
- By submitting your entry/entries you agree to allow National Numeracy to post them on social media to promote the competition and National Numeracy Day. This may display their first name, last initial and age. We will never post the location or school organisation that the child attends without seeking permission first.
- One winner and three runners up for each category will be selected by National Numeracy staff and our celebrity ambassador Bobby Seagull. This decision is final and non-negotiable.
- The adults who submitted a winning child’s entry will be contacted before 23 June 2023 using the contact details shared with us through the entry form. If they do not respond within 7 days National Numeracy reserves the right to choose a new winner on the 8th day.
- The adult submitting on behalf of the entrant assumes responsibility for receiving the prize worth £50 on behalf of the entrant and also for nominating a nursery, school, community/youth group or organisation to receive the prize pack worth over £1000.
- The nominated organisation will be contacted directly by National Numeracy using the contact details submitted for them at the time of entry.
- Closing date is 23:59 31 May 2023.
- Winners' grown-ups will be contacted on or before 23 June 2023.
- Runners up will be contacted on or before 5 July 2023.
- This competition is not open to any National Numeracy employees, Bobby Seagull or their children.
- Any data collected as part of this competition will only be used for the purposes of running the competition or to gather information on participation in the competition in an optional follow-up survey.
- We will ask for an address in order for National Numeracy to fulfil the prize. This data will not be used for any purpose other than fulfilment.
- National Numeracy will not enter into any correspondence to change their decision on prize winners.
- Prizes are subject to availability and no cash alternative for any prizes will be offered.
- We would like to share news about the winning entry. We will share the runners-up and the winners’ entries on our social media, website and impact reporting. By entering this competition you are agreeing to have the name and age of the child entrant, their winning entry and their school/organisation/group name used in this way.